Monday, July 4, 2016

El Medico!

NOTE: So...sorry for the delay in posting....I have been waiting to be able to post our pictures, but it seems like Google, Blogger, and Google Plus/Google Photos in conjunction with with my Apple iPad are NOT WORKING WELL TOGETHER...so I am going to post this text only for now and will come back an insert photos.
Day three in Cusco did not start out well. Last night I heard Diego breathing hard as he slept. It was bothersome. In the morning it was not my better. In fact, it was worse. James even used the words "laboured breathing." I could feel myself getting more panicked. I am not a panicker by nature, but I was starting to feel it--especially after reading about how altitude sickness can lead to water in the lungs. And so I went to speak with the lovely folks who run the hostel. As I was speaking to them in Spanish, I could hear the tone of my voice slowly rising--the panic. They suggested I go to the clinic, but I asked for a doctor to come to the hostel...they warned me that it would cost more money for the doctor to visit us. I didn't really care about the money at that point. So 30- minutes later, Daniel, the medico arrived. He checked out Diego. Thankfully no water in the lungs, just a very bad throat infection...I think he said laryngitis. So antibiotics and that's the end of the panic. Whew! All that worry for nothing. THANK GOD. Diego had been felling a little unwell since before our trip and the diagnosis of a throat infection made a lot of sense.... While Daniel was around I had him check out James, who is still not feeling well. (Several days after the fact, James has admitted that he felt really terrible the first three days in Cusco). The doctor said "James would feel better in the morning." And so, that is is the happily unexciting conclusion of the doctor's visit. Just FYI - the house visit cost 150 sol...something around $65 CDN. And the prescription cost another 30 sol (around $10 CDN)...a bargain. Diego is feeling much better. And the next day James woke feeling a little more himself. In the interim, Mateo and I hit the markets again. We have shopped WAY TOO MUCH in Cusco. Everything everywhere....But that it another post! June 29

No comments:

Post a Comment